Cosmos Mein Panduranga…

We once used to call NSD as the Nainitaal School of Drama - Nainitaal because we knew a lot of guys from NSD who originated from in and around that area. For my diploma film at the film institute I needed two actors and I was sure that it had to be NSD trained actors. I met Nirmal Panday two days before my film shoot – before that I had already cast him in the film. Nainitaal guys Rajiv Katiyaal and Sudarshan Juyal had suggested me his name. Nirmal was full of energy, had immence zest. He was excited about the script. I had a song to record and shoot in two days time, but had no music composer. Nirmal volunteered… and after some bottles of santra (local liquor) I was relieved! The lyrics whet something like this ‘Panduranga, Panduranga, Panduranga… Cosmos Mein Panduranga, Universal Panduranga…’ The tune he set was catchy enough to be sung by all and sundry at the film institute, at least for the next ten days.

… nothing significant about this interaction. In fact, I haven’t even met him for the last fifteen years or so. It is just that when someone is no more, you tend to be reminded of the times you spent with him. Mid forties is not an age to die. But such are the vagaries of life.

Comments

Yup, I still sing that song in the shower sometimes.

I assisted you for the diploma, remember? My job was to make sure the actors don't abscond just before the shot. Not a difficult job at all, once I began flirting with Nirmal.;)

I met him about ten years ago once, he was happy with the success of Bandit Queen.
Ramchandra PN said…
good that you remember it... it was a real time pass song... initially I gave it to a marathi punite, who composed it in the classical bhajan mode... but nirmal gave a zing to it... much like some of BV karanth's stage songs...
sad that nirmal is no more
You might laugh at this, but I don't consider it a time-pass number.

In fact, to me that song is a bhajan, a devotional worship of God.

Further, I have an inkling that the person who composed it must have had a soft corner for Panduranga. Why you guys are so secretive and suppresive of your love for the creator I can never understand.
parwatisingari said…
Ram you need a theaterwallah for this. :) May Nirmal pandey's soul rest in peace,
Ramchandra PN said…
@ atmapreeta - true, true.. for a second i forgot i was speaking with Atmapreeta and not manjushree... peace...

@ sharmila - yea, RIP Nirmal

Popular posts from this blog

The Short Fictional Journey - Part 3

My 'Double Life' at Films Division - Part 3

13\3 PMGP – Beginning